Thursday, December 23, 2010

Television, regrets, and a new year!

Television. I heard on the radio that now people spend more time online than they do watching TV. I believe that, because we don't even have cable TV or the box thing - we only have the internet; however, we get the news and TV shows and we can watch movies on the internet, and so we really don't need a TV.

There are some shows that I watch on a regular basis, which I can get on hulu.com or netflix.com. My favorite TV show is The Biggest Loser (AMAZING), and then I like Parenthood, Being Erica, Project Runway, and any cooking show. Those are really the only shows I watch by myself, and I only watch them while I'm doing something else, like sewing, folding clothes, or cooking. I rarely just sit down and watch a show just to watch it. BUT, there are two shows that Preston and I are currently watching -- 24 and King of the Hill. When we eat dinner we often watch a show, and it's one of those two.

I say all this because I've been thinking about the show Being Erica. It's just a cute little show about a girl who gets to go back in time and work through some of her life regrets. She's 32, single, and struggling in many areas of her life. It's cute, and the therapist in the show is always throwing out cool quotes.

The show makes me think of regrets. I've been thinking that I do not really live with regrets. I do live with moments I might have done things differently, but I recognize that everything that has happened in my life has made me who I am today, the good, the bad and the ugly/pretty! I'm just not sure that focusing on regrets really does help, unless you look back and are able to learn from your mistakes, move on, and put the past behind you.

Yes, there are things in my life that have been lessons for me, and I would counsel others not to do; however, living as if it were a regret would be stressful and sad.

God works all things out for the good of those who love Him, and though we may have deviated from His perfect will for our lives, if we are His children, we have never deviated away from His desire to us living an abundant life. So, learn from the past, live in the moment, and plan for the future.

Live in the moment. That would be a lesson that I have learned in the last couple of years. If I am spending time with someone, but I am thinking about someone else or a problem that is irrelevant to that moment - I miss out. It is important to focus on what is in front of you, and treasure that experience right there and then. After that you can deal with what you need to, but don't get wrapped up in worry that you miss what is in front of you.

I like to read. Right now I am reading a few books, one being the short stories of Ernest Hemingway. When I read his work, I am amazed at how writers can word thoughts and ideas so eloquently. Hemingway writes in such a way that I can picture the whole scene very clearly. Maybe after years of piddling on a blog I will be able to express myself a little more clearly, allowing readers to understand what I am trying to say! :)

Anyway, I think I'm going to write a post about my goals for 2011 - NOT resolutions, because those are often overwhelming, but goals -- things to work towards -- not to change instantly over night and keep up for a whole year -- resulting in failure!

Peace out
Krystal

No comments:

Post a Comment